23 September 2010

A load of crap for a Thursday

I'm tired tonight. Had a late night taking care of family stuff back in the old hometown (100km away). Didn't get home until 10:30ish, then up at 4:45am. I've been on the go since last Monday with various and sundry items. This weekend promises to be more of the same. Still, I think I'm going to bed early tonight.

I'm sort of wondering where the summer went. The Better Half planned and ran several church events for the children, which generally means that the Yankeedog Glorious Proletariat Labor Battalion gets drafted as well. Her aunt died in July and there was the cleanup (bureaucratic and furniture) involved with that, in addition to all the other stuff that goes along with having a passel of elderly relations. Oh, and business has picked up at work, so overtime, which I hate to pass up since it's paid OT.

It wasn't until driving up to Savanna a week or so ago and seeing the rapidly drying cornfields that it struck me-summer's over! Fall is here. The NFL will be starting Week 3. Modern Woodmen Park is all closed up, the 2010 Midwest League season ending. The trees are showing a twinge of color. There are combines in those cornfields. The apple orchards are opening for the season. Soon there'll be pumpkins for Halloween. The current crop of scoundrels are airing ads for the midterm and state elections.

But the summer just got here! What the hell?!?  Time flies, and way too fast.

Now...time for YD's Musical Confession. I was listening to the radio driving down Route 84, late, when I heard John Denver's Rocky Mountain High. You know, he gets a bit of a bad rap, but I have to say I liked most of his music. He wasn't a guy you'd 'rock out' to, but he wasn't a rocker anyway. He was country/folk/regional, something of the Rockies version of Jimmy Buffett. I imagine he had that 'aw, shucks' squeaky-clean image that didn't really match his personality (he was on the fringes of the 60s rock scene, with all that entailed), and by today's standards his act is considered 'cheesy'. He WAS one of the biggest selling acts of the 1970's, though. He didn't buy up all of his own albums, so somebody out there is lying when they say 'John Denver. Hated him.'

Ah, well. You can laugh it up-but here's some music to pull up a chair by the fire and have a beer to:



To finish the trifecta, finally:






























The USS Gallipoli is finished and ready for my project. Those microscopic decals are a pain but the final product looks good, in my own slightly humble opinion.

Now we're going to play 'Name My Other Models', cyberspace's favorite gameshow.
















These two ships were some of the first ships created in Trek fandom, from 1975's Star Fleet Technical Manual. They were never seen in any of the series or the movies, but they're 'plausible'. I expect our Mr. Barnes will recognize these.

The three-nacelled ship on the left is a dreadnought, the heavy 'punch' ship of the Fleet. The ship on the right is a transport/tug, with two modular cargo containers. Actually makes sense-in space there's no need for streamlining.

I need names for the two. Y'all pick one for each ship. Majority wins.

Dreadnought: Federation NCC-2100, Commonwealth NCC-2117, Dominion NCC-2115

Transport/Tug: Ptolemy NCC-3801, Al Rashid NCC-3802, Hawking NCC-3805

I know. 'YD. Your geek is showing.' Like I said, tired. I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT ISN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!

yankeedog out.

No comments:

Post a Comment